Let’s say you see a sprinkler gone awry at the park. Maybe there’s a downed parkway tree and it’s blocking the sidewalk. What do you do? Who do you tell? There’s a quick, easy, and fully online Community Concern Form that’s your best bet.You’ll need to include your contact info, address, and details about your concern (photos, too, if you can).Once you hit submit it will go straight to the Baseline Community Life Team and you’ll get an email confirming your submission. Then, in a timely manner, you’ll get an email about how the concern will be addressed.

Why should I submit one?

Baseline is a vibrant, growing community so we need everyone’s help when it comes to maintaining our neighborhood’s unique character and high-quality standards.

As a resident, you’re out in the community. You’re our eyes and ears. And you can help report community concerns and damages that require the attention of the Baseline Community Life Team.

Plus, upholding Baseline’s undeniable curb appeal is what will keep your home value high.

When should I submit one?

Here are a few common scenarios when it’s best to submit a Community Concern.

Landscaping and irrigation

If you spot an overgrown parkway tree, overgrown shrubs, or an irrigation issue (flooding, blocked sprinklers, etc.), submit a Community Concern. Even if you’re just concerned about the health of the tree, send in a form so the Baseline landscaping team can take a look at it.


While it’s best to chat with your neighbor first, if you need help with a compliance violation (let’s say your neighbor has now stationed their 40-foot RV right in front of your house), submit a Community Concern to let us know.

Keep in mind, complaints submitted to us cannot be made anonymously. If you’re reporting a violation, you’ll need to include your first and last name, which could be shared with the involved party.

When shouldn’t I submit a Community Concern?

This is a biggie, because not every issue is right for a Community Concern.

If you spot sidewalk or street issues (like potholes, concrete cracks, or abandoned vehicles), you’ll need to contact the city of Broomfield. For noise, leash law or barking dog complaints, contact the city of Broomfield.

If you have a safety concern or feel that you or someone else may be in danger, always contact the police. If you need it, the Broomfield Police Department non-emergency line is 303-438-6400.